Friday, May 6, 2011

Middle of the Night

Seriously.  I wonder if there will be a single day without drama.

On Tuesday night, while my husband was at work saving lives, I went to set the alarm system after putting the kids to bed.  Trick was, the alarm system wouldn't "arm."  So I set it to door chime instead.  Some nights I'd let it go and not do anything but I was Nervous Nelly for some reason so I set the chime and took both my cell phone and house phone to bed with me.  Truth be told, we're RIGHT off the freeway and there is a house close by that has known meth users living there so I feel justified being nervous from time to time.

Anyway.  I went to bed and was SOUND asleep when I hear an obnoxiously loud "... door open."  Trouble was- I was so asleep I didn't catch the first part.  It was a mixed blessing that Sarina also woke up with the loud squawk and told me it had said the back garage door. 

I texted (I have no idea why I sent a text instead of calling but I was running on adrenaline) Mark that the chimes went off.  He called and talked with me while I zipped down (in my nightgown and no glasses- smart) to lock the door between the house and garage.  He then told me he thought it was ok to call 911.

So I did and I was SO IMPRESSED with our AWESOME Thurston County Sheriff.  He was here in less than 5 minutes with back up shortly after.  Sweet man (wearing a bullet proof vest I noticed :/) walked the perimeter of the house and checked the garage.  If someone had tried to get in the garage they didn't enter - there were no footprints.  I'm hoping that it was just the wind and not a real live bad guy scared away by the alarm system squawking. 

Shortly after Mark arrived home and I felt MUCH safer even though it was tough to fall back asleep.  Phew. 

It was one more crazy (and scary) night.

I'm SO VERY glad my husband wears bunker gear at work and not a bullet proof vest.  Fires and a lot of other calls he goes on are scary enough but intentional violence is a completely different game.  Bless them for doing the jobs they do.

P.S. In the morning Elsa stood on the boys' bunk bed ladder and peed- hitting not one but 2 beds.  Yay!  Lucky for me it was my day to work so super hero hubby had the joy of washing and re-making the beds.  Love those "Primary Caregivers." ;)

2 comments:

  1. You are such a talented story teller. You are an amazing mom... and flying solo with 4 kids is a treameandous undertaking. Your transparency is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina you are so sweet with your thoughtful comments and kind words, as always.

    I miss seeing you as often as I used to get to at playgroup.

    ReplyDelete