Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fighting Words

Ahh, I can tell it's the end of summer.

Long gone are any pretenses at teamwork (aka getting along in our house).

The other day in the car this was the discourse in the back seats...

Elsa: "Carl, did you know I was going to say I don't like Charlie?"
Charlie: "You know I can hear you right?"

Later in the day I heard this little gem:

Charlie to Elsa: "When I'm done with the xbox I'm going to slam you on the ground."
Elsa's response: "I'm going to jump on your tummy and knock the air out of you!"
Then Charlie's last word: "Well,I'm going to get a stick and poke your eye."

Nothing but hearts and flowers going down around here.

My plan was to take the kids swimming every day until school starts to keep them tired out.

They wouldn't stay still long enough for more than 2 photos...

But their time in the water is slowly shrinking.  I keep looking up to see their goose bumpy arms and dripping bodies hovering closer and closer, crowding around me like little zombies.

I guess this must be the natural course of events.

Those people who planned how long summer lasts were awfully smart.  They must have had multiple kids at home too because they seem to know with some wonderful accuracy how long the kids can be each others' playmates before all hell breaks loose.

We're on the edge, wouldn't take much from here...

Even though I dread the thought of homework, I look forward to a few hours to myself each day to gather strength and brace myself for the late afternoon/evening shift of mommyhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment