Monday, August 5, 2013

Silver Stars

So, the other day I ran into Fred Meyer to let the kids blow a little of the money they earned and get a couple of groceries that Costco didn't have.

After the painful selection of what they could purchase with the few dollars they had burning a hole in their pockets (Charlie had $8 and Elsa had $6-we had lots of discussions about saving up to buy more expensive items instead of something that's just ok) I was waiting in line for a well-earned Americano.

Elsa spied a rounder full of back-to-school backpacks (at a screaming deal for $9.99).  She came up to me holding one that was black with glittery silver stars and metallic straps.

I was so overjoyed by her selection I said, "OK, you got it."

I even started to get out of line at Starbucks.

I think I spoke too quickly.

Or maybe it was too eagerly

because she instantly changed her mind and went back for another look.

She thought maybe a doggie one would be better (knowing Charlie would love it).

Then she came back with a black backpack with skulls and neon green.

Darn it!

Charlie tried to tell her how much cooler the star backpack was.

Her response?

It was classic Elsa.

"You guys are trying to trick me into being a girl."

Then the second metaphorical punch,

"It's not going to work."

So, my five year old little girl with the long toasted marshmallow colored hair, with curls, will head off to kindergarten carrying a black backpack with skulls and a neon green handle.

She certainly has her own sense of style.

Who am I to stifle that creative self-expression?

No comments:

Post a Comment