Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm a sucker, I know it.

I'll admit.  I'm a sucker. 

I fall for all kinds of things. 

In college there was some guy going around offering workshops to improve your memory.  I signed up (it cost as much as one month of my rent).  The school canceled the event before the guy could cash our checks. 

It's probably a good thing.  My memory is terrible, no workshop would fix that...

Probably one of my husband's favorites, he STILL brings it up, was the broom that vacuumed up what it swept.  Seriously, sounded great!  I was always sweeping our house and could never find a dustpan.  Seemed like the perfect solution to me.  I saw it on the Today Show, so it had to work... right?  Oh yeah, it was also endorsed by Good Housekeeping (whatever that means...  now I know that it doesn't mean much).

Nope.  It was terrible, and way too expensive for a broom.

Can you hear my more cynical husband teasing, "It's a broom, it's a vacuum, it's a broom, no it's a vacuum"...  Oh boy.  That was returned...

But I have high hopes for this one. 

I'm on day 1 of the hcG diet.  It sounds SUPER quacky (even the required reading book Pounds And Inches is WACKO!)  but I've heard about great results from numerous sources. 

So, I'm giving it a shot.

Hey, I've had 4 lovely little cherubs and nursed each one.  I feel like my metabolism is out of whack and this claims to reign it in.

I don't lead a sedentary life- I really don't know how that's possible with a big family- I eat moderately healthy and exercise at least 2-3 times a week- sometimes more.  Heck I just finished a 1/2 marathon!  I'm not a couch potato.  Yet, I don't lose any weight.  I've tried the Fiber Diet (suggested for me based on a quiz in Women's Health Magazine- told you I'm a sucker) that didn't work.  I tried P90X and it was awesome!  But the second I stopped, it all came back and won't leave. 

So, here's the deal.  I give myself a shot (yup- even give myself shots here) one time a day for 23 days of hcG.  Ready for this, hcG is a hormone found in pregnant women's urine.  You'd think I've had enough of that by now...

Days 1-3
I (yes, I know it sounds wacko) eat fatty food until I'm really full.  This is supposed to shock my body into using the hcG to fight the fat.  Whatever.  I'm not scientific so most of that goes over my head.  I hear it works, people!  They also say that I really do need to do this otherwise I'll have severe hunger the first week.  So, I NEED to stuff my face with my favorite foods to make me less hungry later.  Rules are rules.

Days 4-23 (up to 30)
I continue with the shots plus a pretty strict 500 calorie diet.  The hcG is supposed to suppress the hunger and this time period is supposed to detox all the junk in my system and reset everything (habits, metabolism, etc).

The Diet:
All the black coffee, unsweetened tea, water I want.
2 fruits (they're detailed which ones and how much)
2 veggies (also detailed)
2 starches (1/2 rice cracker, 1 Melba toast, 1 grassini) I may go with rice cracker since it's a chance to eliminate gluten
2 100g servings of lean protein
I can combine any of those in any way I want except only 1serving at a meal. 

For example one day is:
cup of tea/coffee for breakfast (no biggie for me, I don't usually eat breakfast), an orange for mid morning snack, lunch is 7 prawns and 2 cups of salad greens with balsamic vinegar, and a grassini.  Mid afternoon snack is an apple and 1/2 rice cake.  Dinner in 100g chicken (about 1 1/2 chicken breast tenders) with 1 cup shredded cabbage and taco seasonings.  Then cup of tea before bed.

If I'm at my target weight at the end of this then I stop the shots and continue the 500 calories for 3 more days.  If I want to continue I can go a week longer then stop the shots and continue the 500 calories for 3 more days from there.

This diet averages 1/2-1 lb a day.  I can do most anything for a 1/2 to a pound of weight loss a day.  Or so I think when I'm in the "gorging" phase.:)

Then for 3 weeks I eat whatever I want except sugar and starches.  Then...  I'm cured!   ???

So, I have a naturopath who is supervising this (did I mention I have 4 kiddos to consider?  I'm not going to COMPLETELY risk my health for beauty).  I saw her yesterday and she watched me give myself a B12 shot- just to practice.

And today I did my quick poke.  I'll admit, I don't want Sarina to know what I'm doing, so I'm trying to hide the pokes.  It feels a little like I'm a drug addict...

This morning I weighed out my lean protein and put them in individual baggies so I can quickly grab them to prepare my meals. 



And I had Sarina take my before pictures.  Yuck.  So, correction, she knows I'm doing a diet but I don't want her to see the needles.

For breakfast I had a costco Energy Bar with Omega 3 blah blah blah.  Mid morning I had 3 farm fresh eggs fried in butter on a toasted piece of Dave's Killer Bread with one mini Babybel cheese and some sweet hot mustard (made me feel a little sick). 
For lunch I'll have a gardenburger burrito.
For dinner I'm planning Taco Truck chicken burrito with avocado and cheese between Sarina's gymnastics lesson and Carl's baseball game.  I'll probably eat 2/3s of it (I usually try to eat just 1/2).
And I think I'll try tea tonight to start the habit when I'm not feeling super hungry.

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes. 

Might be a few days before I post again. 

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment