Monday, April 23, 2012

Abstract Crazy #1

I really want to title all of my blogs "crazy happenings of the day."

Today I was thinking about how those amazingly creative artists can run around giving their beautiful paintings boring names like Abstract in Blue #346.  Who knows maybe they wanted to make it tricky for art history exams.  But it was an appealing concept for me.


So why not title all my crazies Abstract #'s?

Just more action packed days around here that I want to document because I know that when I reflect back in time, years down the road, when the most exciting adventure in my life is a trip to the grocery store, I'll wonder what my days were filled with when I had all those kids underfoot.

So, Mark's out of town at Joshua Tree attending an amazing rope rescue course.  I'm really proud of him for taking such initiative for this.  He wrote a grant application and was awarded a grant to attend (so the City doesn't have to pay the $1200 or so for him to attend).  And we used airline miles for him to fly down and camp in the desert in 100 degree temps so that he can be even better at his job.

Pretty awesome in my book.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Yesterday, desperate to get in an outside run and no one to keep the kids in sight (I've tapped all resources so that I can go to Palm Desert with Mark for 6 days) I talked with Sarina to see if she felt comfortable watching the kids while I went for a run.

She's such a responsible, nurturing girl (when she wants to be), and I knew that if she was on board it would be a-okay.  And she was!  I had an awesome run with some neighbor(ish) ladies.  It was beautiful outside, great company, and a nice and hilly 4 miles.  Felt SOO good to do.

Then all day the kids played outside with the neighbors.  Sarina and Carl went to the neighbors behind us for the afternoon.

I watched the next door neighbors catch and trim their pot belly pig's hoof (they could only get one done).  I was completely entertained by that process.

Come nightfall the crazies come out.

I think I was folding laundry (what a surprise, I know) when I hear wailing downstairs.

I know it might be a little jaded of me, but some days I figure that if it's bad enough they'll come find me.

Which they did.

Apparently, Elsa was too loud for Mr. Charlie, who happened to have a handy metal pole (from Elsa's bed guardrail) in his hand

which he jabbed at her mouth to quiet her down.

I don't think that worked because she amped up the volume significantly.

I would too if my front tooth was chipped and had a big cut on the inside of my top lip.

Poor baby girl.

But I couldn't get too mad at Charlie because while he was frantically trying to hug his sorry all over his baby sister he got the second biggest bloody nose he's ever had.

Once they were settled, bathed, and Elsa almost in bed, the big kids came home and the excitement rose right up.

But, again, settled the kids, got them into bed and guess who lost his first (unassisted) tooth!  Big (metal pole wielding) Charlie Bear!
He's sticking his tongue through the now even bigger space between his teeth.
Today was Ollie's big 3rd puppy check up.  She's growing nicely.  Went from 24 to 33 lbs.  All's good except her ear infection.

Not only do I get to forget my child's amoxicillin 2x day for 10 days, now I get to clean a puppy's ears 3 times each side two times a day plus ointment.

I really am not that much of an animal lover.

Totally sucks that now I have that added to my cup that's all ready overflowing.

Huge sigh.

Between puppy vet visits, shopping with my always generous mom, we squeezed in a playdate at the park on this beautiful day.  One shining moment was when the boys all started taking off their t-shirts and Elsa made her way to me to tell me she was hot.

I knew she was going to ask if she could take her shirt off too.

Which I'd let slide the day before when she was playing in the backyard with the neighbors- I admit I did tell her that girls don't run around with their shirts off.

Her response was instant,

"Well, I do."

All righty then.

So, I was in a quandary about no shirt in a public park.  With that long beautiful hair she couldn't pass as a boy in spite of the clothes, running, and general boy-type play.

But I let her.

That was a tough call for me.

Then, big news here, we picked the kids up from school and took the girls to get their hair cut.

Yup, I said girls.

Elsa had her very first hair cut.

I used to be able to say she was wearing every bit of hair God gave her.

Not anymore.

That's a little sad for me.

But she was awfully cute getting it done.

Here she's getting it washed.

Getting ready to trim.
Now she's telling the nice lady something about how awesome her big sister is.
She's really getting into it.  See her feet crossed?
I know I should have taken an after picture but I wanted to save it for when she was wearing something other than her brother's hand me down spiderman t-shirt and athletic shorts.

She's starting to blend a little girliness into her tom-boy persona.

I like it.

I hope those girls have many more beauty dates together.

And yes, the metal poles have been removed from reach, just for clarification.

No comments:

Post a Comment