Sunday, August 17, 2014

Summer of the Swedish Pancake

When it comes to food, summer really kind of sucks.

Not because there isn't an abundance of delicious food.

I LOVE salads, and love making them out of anything and everything.

And of course, summer is the perfect time for that.

But, it's really staggering the amount of time dedicated to the preparation, serving, and cleaning up of three meals a day for six very different appetites.

No, I don't cater every meal to meet each appetite but that doesn't mean I don't end up tweaking each meal to make it palatable for the person eating it.

I do remind myself that there will be a day when each person can do that type of tweaking without me having to do it all.

And that day is rapidly approaching.

Sarina already does it.

Carl is super close.

Charlie and Elsa will follow pretty quickly behind.

Here's the precious babes the last day of their first ever Summer Hummer
(not the best pic but it's the only one of all four without an extra kiddo this summer).
And yes, the kids are taking a bigger and bigger role in helping me.

But, truth be told, breakfast is my least favorite meal

because there's really no salad, except fruit, for breakfast.

And because I'm a terrible morning person,

especially when hungry little ogres are desperate for food.

But this summer I've made more Swedish Pancakes than I can count.

I'd always wanted to tackle crepes-probably because I LOVED the crepes in Paris sold outside the bars in a food truck type stand.

They were buttery and sugary and delicious.

Ok I only had one but it was memorable!

As memorable as the drunk American girl who barfed everywhere in the bar and taxi her friends sent her home in.

Nasty.

Anyway...

The kids always talk about the Swedish Pancakes nonna makes them after sleepovers.

This summer, we stayed with my sister-in-law while Carl went to the TBI baseball camp in Ellensburg and she made them for the kids.

I actually enjoyed making this breakfast food.

I'll share the recipe with you.

The original is the America's Test Kitchen Crepe which I've adapted for our family.  There are actually a few recipes in that cookbook that I really like-cream scones is one.

Swedish Pancakes Schreck Style

1 cup 1% milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
4 large eggs
3/4 c water
6 T butter melted
1 t salt
2 t vanilla

I mix it all up with my immersion blender.

You can use the batter right away or keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Then I lightly butter a good non-stick pan (wiping up excess butter with a paper towel so it doesn't stay in the pan and burn), pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan, swirl the batter so it spreads into a nice circle.

I watch for the edges of the pancake to look dry-ish then flip, cook long enough to dress the preceding pancake, then repeat.

Elsa likes hers straight up with butter and cinnamon sugar.

Carl likes his with powdered sugar and syrup (gag).

Charlie likes his with butter, powdered sugar and syrup.

Sarina likes hers with just butter and powdered sugar.

Charlie is my big consumer with this meal.  He gobbles up at least 7 when I make it.  And this recipe usually lasts me two breakfasts for my 4 kids.

Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment