Friday, December 13, 2013

My Favorite Day of the Year

I have to say my very favorite day of the year is not Christmas

or Thanksgiving

or my birthday

or my anniversary.

My favorite day of the year is the day we keep the kids home from school, dress up, and visit Santa at the Nordstrom in downtown Seattle.

I love it.

I love seeing my kids so excited and nervous about their moment with the big guy.



I love watching their faces as we drive into the city, ooohhing and aaahhhing over the big buildings and busyness of a city.

I love how foreign it is to them to be in a busting downtown.

I love driving through a city I loved living in.

Remembering what restaurants were my favorites. 

The landmarks I enjoyed passing. 

Driving routes I drove when I felt like I belonged in the city.

And I love eating the best hamburger, hands down, at Red Mill.  A magical place where they have a sign saying no cell phones.  Where they don't take credit or debit cards.  Where the lines are worth it.  Where the pile of bacon is insane and mouthwatering.



This year was pretty remarkable.

Yes, we had to worry about getting our broken (yup, yet another broken appliance in this household) dishwasher repaired-the repair lady was able to squeeze in during our dinner hour between Santa and concert.

But we had a fantastic surprise, Elsa was excited to wear the dress she picked out months ago for the big trip to see Santa. 

And she wore it the whole time in Seattle.

I think she even relished the compliments she received.

Maybe she relished being a pretty little girl, if only for a short time.




After Santa we took a different route from downtown to Phinney Ridge (location of the wonderful Red Mill) and happened to drive by the Freemont Troll, so he was added to our favorite stops.



It gets easier the older the kids get.

Maybe one year we can add a trip to the Ferris wheel.

Another we could stay over night.

Yet another we may go to up to the top of the Space Needle.

To top it off we ended the day watching Sarina perform a little group solo in her band concert.

(Elsa had switched into the camo pants and hat for the occasion...)

What a blessed life.

I am so very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment