Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Paranoid Runner

I realize this is true, 



but I have a little story.

I ran my best time today.

5 miles in 49 minutes (hey!  it's good for me...).

I think it had something to do with listening to NPR's TED talk on "The Violence Within Us." 

It was all well and good until I hit a more isolated section of the loop and passed a guy who could look a little rough, with tattoos on his hands.

It left me feeling paranoid.

And I'm pretty paranoid anyway.

When I run alone I wear my hair in a bun (I've heard that rapists look for girls with ponytails because they're easy to grab).

I only run during daylight, in public areas.

But that combination of listening to violence and passing someone to seemed a little rough sure made me speedy (for me).

Especially not knowing if he was coming up behind me until I worked up the courage (around a good string of oncoming cars) to look behind me and see that he was no where in sight.

But, those TED talks are so great!

I love that it's 50 minutes of a good story, well done in the fantastic NPR style.

It's thought provoking and entertaining enough to keep me moving.

It's my new favorite way to run.

I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment