Wednesday, September 19, 2012

End of Summer and Back To School

We're now in week 3 since school started.

And yes, it's taken me this long to feel like myself again.

Finally, they're all occupied by something other than driving me NUTS!

It was a great summer.

And I'm incredibly grateful for Ken Lake.

We'd be home, the kids would fight and argue over something stupid.

It would escalate-

and feel like no one likes anyone in this house.

Then I'd pack everyone up and escape to the lake.

It was blissful.

They'd play together.

Encourage each other.

Work together.

And I could sit in the sunshine, drink my coffee, leaf through magazines and read books with pleasant children noises in the background.

Perfection.

There was a big mouth bass lurking under the dock that kept the boys occupied for many many hours.

I hope he's still around next summer too.

He brought all kinds of people together- big teenage boys, little boys, middle size boys, and more than one adult- all trying to figure out how to get him.

He'd pop out every now and then to let them know he was still there.

He'd delight the crowd by snatching one of the little fishes swimming nearby and eating it whole.

The kids also caught many little fishes, took them for rides down the slide, watched them swim in the ever present bucket.

I'll post pictures when I can use my email again.

They also ended the season by catching a poor little salamander. 

When they finally let the poor guy go, he was so confused he just kept swimming in circles.

I hope he straightened out eventually...

So this is a big year.

Three kids at Griffin and our final year of pre-school.

Big time.


This was Charlie's first day of Kindergarten, first day riding the school bus.

I like to think of this as the kid realizing summer's over.

Silly geese.

First day of second and fifth grade.

Big boy in Kindergarten.

This picture looks sweet, and that's what I was hoping for, but just before I took it Sarina said, "Mom I don't want to kiss her.  Her breath STINKS."  At least she whispered it.  Can you see her holding her breath while sweet baby sister is all in?

I'll admit, I had to take a sniff myself, and it was a bit sour.

I'll never forget feeling like the school bus was a big yellow monster gobbling up my baby the first time it stopped at our driveway.  And I feel that way each time one more hops on there.

He's still adjusting to a new school.

One without his buddies from pre-school.

He was so lucky to have so many boys he loved in his pre-school class.

Tonight he cried because he was telling me that when Peter's mom walks Peter into their classroom Peter cries and it makes Charlie miss me.

It broke my heart.

How do you tell him it's ok?

When he's used to being by my side more often than not?

That I'm always close by for a hug and kiss if something goes wrong or he needs a little comfort.

This is why we start with half time kindergarten. 

To ease into life away from home.

I told him that it sure sounded like Peter needed a friend, and I know that Charlie would be a great friend.  I suggested that he walk up to him and tell him it will be ok and that they can play together at recess to give him something to look forward to.

Now I just hope that Peter is as sweet as he sounds after pushing my kid toward him...

And let us not forget the last but not the least.

Far from the least.


She's all dolled up for her first day of school, wearing her big brother's baseball hat.

I'm a little sad that her best buddy isn't there this year, makes it feel a little less exciting to drop her off.  But I know it's good for her to branch out.

It's a new year, with old and new friends and I know it's going to be a great one.

For starters, I don't have to drive into town 5 days a week. 

Two years of that was enough.

I can't believe that this is our 9th pre-school class at Gloria Dei. 

They do grow up fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment