Sunday, July 29, 2012

Over Heard at a Party

I was hovering near the kids at a party last night- making sure they consumed a decent amount of food before running off to swim and play again.

One of the kids (a boy Carl's age) was sitting next to Carl and Sarina (Charlie was across the table- Elsa was at another table with her little boyfriends).

He said, in a fantastically deep little boy voice, "Sammy told me he has a crush on Elsa."  (Sammy is an adorable boy who was in Charlie's pre-school class).
photo by Monica Snider

Carl kind of hit him on the arm and said, "Dude, that's my sister." 

At least I'm pretty sure there was a "Dude" in there.

The boy said again, "Yeah, Sammy said he has a crush on Elsa."

Again, Carl hit him on the arm and said, "That's my sister!"

photo by Monica Snider

Then it registered with little Mr. Deep-Voice- I don't think he had realized the connection.

He looked at Sarina and said, "Is she your sister too?"

Sarina nodded.

He sat there calculating for a second.

"Four kids?!"

Sarina and Carl nodded.

I think those kind of numbers were beyond his comprehension.

And how I love that Carl was stunned by someone talking about his sister.

Oh the years to come...

Miss Elsa will be surrounded by boys- Carl 3 grades ahead, Charlie just one grade ahead, and a cousin Conner the same grade.   That means Carl will be a senior and Charlie a Sophomore when Elsa and Conner will be freshman.

Not that she'll need it.  I have a feeling that kid is going to hold her own.



And of course, Miss Sophie will be a junior.

We'll have Capital pretty well stacked.

I'll have to figure out how to get in those halls to see how those dynamics play out...

No comments:

Post a Comment