Tuesday, July 24, 2012

oops #911

All but one of my children have dialed 911.

Does that somehow make it like the shoemaker's children not having shoes?

Grrrr...

The first to pull that stunt was Miss Sarina.  She did that on her daddy's watch and I vaguely remember her doing it.  I think it happened when I was at work.  It was when we lived on Carlyon (sniff sniff) which means it was before her second birthday.  

Miss Smarty pants.

I vividly remember Carl doing it.

We were in the "new" house.  I was crazy overwhelmed with 3 kids (ha!).  And probably for the first time ever I snapped at Carl.  I don't remember what it was over, but I do remember that I was frustrated with him and had to focus on Mr. Escape-Artist-Charlie-Bear.

I also remember that he threatened me with something then retreated to the bonus room.

I'd forgotten about him,while caught up in whatever had diverted my attention, until the phone rang.

It was 911 calling.

Someone little had called from our number saying they needed help.

Gulp.

Shit!

I assured them that everything was fine and I had a 2 year old who was pouting.

They still sent the sheriff out to check things out.

I knew everything was fine.  

But there was a teeny tiny voice in the back of my head saying, "What if?"  "What did he tell them?!"  

What if they for some insane reason thought he would be better off with them than me?  

I've seen those Dateline shows.

I did go weak in the knees.

Even more so when I saw the sheriff slowly roll down our driveway.

Mark went outside to talk to the sheriff, firefighter to cop.  I held Carl close and waved from the front porch so they could see he was ok.

But I was terrified.

It was all fine.  

No harm no foul.  

Thank God!

Then the other day (I don't recall exactly when but it was between my last post and today) Sarina fell and hurt her arm, I was in the middle of something I tried to {kind of} rapidly finish before checking her out.

Apparently Elsa didn't think I was moving fast enough.  

Fortunately (in her mind) we'd just read Little Critter To the Rescue (where Mercer Mayer's Little Critter calls 911 because his dad is locked in the basement and can't get out).  

So those magic little helper numbers were ready for recall.

And recall them dial she did... 911.

So, yet again, I got to explain to a dispatcher that no- we really didn't have an emergency and everything was just fine.

I wonder if they keep a list of kid callers...

We'd be triple time on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment