Saturday, July 28, 2012

Life Changing Events

Have you ever thought about how much your life can change by a single incident?

I know my life has been filled with little things that have altered the course of my life.

The day a girl told me I wasn't any fun unless I was drinking (I was 15 and had been "friends" with her since kindergarten), boy did that set me back on the straight and narrow.

The night Mark lifted me into the stands at a football game, senior year of high school, I knew I'd marry him.

The single week I was off birth control... and hello Miss Sarina.

When I was younger, "that's life" is something I remember being said for lots of little life lessons- then I'd roll my eyes.

I know a family who has had such a profound life-changing experience, I cannot imagine, nor can I fathom how far reaching their experience will be for others.

I do know that I cannot stop thinking about them.

And what I feel is that they made a very heroic choice.

They're a family much like mine.  He is a firefighter, she works when she can, they had three babies in close succession, then found out they were going to have another.

I'll admit I thought whoa Nelly, they're in for a whole new level of work.

The year Elsa was born was a tricky year for me.  I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I attribute a few grey hairs and darker shades of dark under my eyes to that year (ok and subsequent years too...)

This family has had a whole new ride.

They learned their beautiful baby girl had Trisomy 18 (Down's Syndrome is an extra 23rd chromosome, Trisomy 18 is an extra 18th chromosome).

Essentially, it means a tough road for the family.

She started a blog to share her experiences, which I know will comfort many others, and is beautifully composed.

Many families with similar diagnosis elect to terminate the pregnancy, what I have no doubt is a heart wrenching decision- possibly one I would consider as well.

This family elected to follow God's will,

to not make that choice,

and let her little life play itself out as He sees fit.

And what a beautiful process.

They have been so open and sharing with their experience, sharing with us sitting helpless on the sidelines.

It is unfathomable to me how you look at a date,

you know it's coming,

you know it's going to be challenging,

it's going to be a monumental time for painful growth,

and you choose to find the beauty,

you see the gift in it.

Now there's a life lesson.

Living life with grace.

That's exactly what this family is doing.

They can walk this earth knowing they made the right decision for their beautiful fourth baby.

They allowed her to come to them on her terms and live her shockingly short little life swaddled in love.

Surrounded by the beauty of many people filled with unconditional love.

I prayed they could have a safe little bubble where they could relish their time together.

I wish it could have been longer for them.

But I know that Abby and God had a plan.

It has touched many lives already.

And I'll bet it will continue to do so for quite some time.

May God hold you in His arms Miss Abby Girl, may He keep your loving family close, and filled with the joy you brought them.

No comments:

Post a Comment