Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fierce 53 Pound Cougar

I'd thought I'd wait forever to sign Carl up for big boy football.

But my friend Mandy had a good point.  At this age they just kind of bump into each other.  And they gradually build up their ability to tackle and get tackled.  Whereas when you wait to sign them up they're thrown in with kids who had that chance to learn gradually and have mastered the tackling game.

So, here I am taking my 53 pound little boy to get fitted for tackle football gear.


It was a bigger deal than I was ready for. 

In a big warehouse filled with equipment all sorted by high school colors.

A team of people weighing, measuring, fitting my little guy who was so happy all he could do was stand there with a big grin on his face.

I'll admit it gave me a lump in my throat.

I'm not sure if it's because I thought he was so darn cute, standing there looking so tiny yet bursting with joy

with excitement

with pride.

Or because I could see how big he's going to be before I know it.

Maybe it was the pride of my little boy wearing the cardinal and gold colors for whom I was lucky enough to cheer.

I want my kids to have the same kind of school pride I had in high school.

That I still have.

It really doesn't take much prodding to get me to bust out a cheer, or snippets of a routine.

I'll gladly sing the Capital fight song for anyone who wants to hear it.

And don't get me started on how it's going to feel when my little girl is bouncing around in a short skirt, clasping her hands in chant and doing her first hurkey.

It's a good thing you can't hear the cheer chanting in my head right now...

C H S, the best, oh yes, C H S...

No comments:

Post a Comment