Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thai Recipes

I'd hardly call these authentic.

But since moving out to the country, I have been able to master making my own pizza (much healthier versions), my Mexican is decent.  But I still crave Thai and up until now I have had the hardest time creating good Thai flavor.

To run into town to pick it up is just plain silly- it takes an eternity and is cold by the time I get it home.

And dragging the whole fan-damily into town for dinner isn't an option.

Soooo.

I'm sharing my recipes that I turn to for a decent Thai flavor.

Enjoy!

Thai Barbecued Pork
Serves 4/30 Minutes
From November 2011 Sunset Mag
From a woman in Olympia!  Karen Fukui
 
1 stalk fresh lemongrass, stem and coarse leaves trimmed, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce (I use Kikoman Tamari)
1 Tbsp fish sauce (I bought lucky brand at the Asian store)
1 quarter sized slice fresh ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
a few cilantro sprigs plus more for garnish
1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 lb port tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch slices (I used the pork roasts from Costco and sliced it while it was still firm when defrosting)
 
1. Heat grill to high (450 to 550 degrees).  In a food processor, pulse all ingredients except pork into a paste, adding a bit of water if needed.  (I did).  In a medium bowl (I used Ziploc baggie) mix pork with paste.  Let sit 15 minutes (I did overnight).
2. Grill pork turning once, until browned, about 6 minutes total.  Serve with rice, vegetables, and cilantro leaves.
 
I put over Asian salad for lunch.  Would be yummy with lime cilantro rice like from that yummy Mexican place at the mall (it's late and my mind is gone).  Also, I used my Cuisinart grill/panini press set between hot and sear.
 
And this delightful dish from my friend Robin.
 
And peanut sauce from a blog I can't talk enough about  http://cookwithwhatyouhave.com/tag/peanut-sauce/ (she was a sorority sister and had the coolest ever Watson Fellowship).

Buon Appetito

No comments:

Post a Comment