Friday, November 4, 2011

That Time of Year Again

Brrrrrrr...

Triple brrrrr.

We really try not to use our furnace to heat the house so it's a whopping 60 degrees in this place while I not-so-patiently await the fire to get hot enough to start warming the house up.

I'm really not very patient.

As I stand here in my coat, scarf and wool slippers, nose dripping because it's so FREAKING COLD!

But the heat of a wood fire is so nice, I guess it's worth it.

And soon enough I'll be sipping on a hot toddy.  Well, not soon enough for me.  But I know that when I do get it later this afternoon it'll warm me right up!  Recipe to follow...

The funny thing about wood fires is how many different times it warms you up (according to my mom).

The first time stacking it.

Next, hauling it up to the house (I added that part- hoisting a wagon full of wood up the back porch steps is not for sissies).

Finally, when it's burning.

Yay for good old fashion warmth.

Now, if only I could get excited about the winter cracked hands.  Man do they come on quick and ouch how they sting!  Maybe I should invest in some good rubber gloves...  It just seems like such a cumbersome process to put them on

and take them off

and put them on

and take them off

every time I wash dishes (which is like a million times a day).

But I have apples and red hots waiting their turn in the oven, the fan has kicked on in the fireplace, and friends from out of town are coming over. 

Should be a good afternoon.
Blueberry Tea
Orange Pekoe or Earl Gray Tea
1 oz Grand Marnier*
1 oz Amaretto

Put in a tea cup and call it tea.  Can't wait to pull out the pretty tea cups and try it for the first time today.  Rumor has it it makes playdates just a little more fun;)

*While the above recipe is delicious, maybe in that potency it should be reserved for after bedtime...  If I were to do it again, I'd reduce the amount to 1/2 ounce each Grand Marnier and Amaretto.  Might leave mama a little more functional for the remainder of the day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment