Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teacher Gifts

I always have unrealistic expectations on what I want to accomplish. 

I dream of coming up with something really creative and unusual for every occasion.  Kind of like the kid in Christmas Story.

One of my favorite people always bakes pies for her kids teachers for Thanksgiving.  She does a million other super thoughtful things throughout the year too.

I find it amazing that she's able to get that done in addition to all her own cooking, baking, preparing for the holidays.  But she does and I am 100% certain those teachers really appreciate it.

I googled teacher gifts to see what I could come up with.  One cute idea was a s'mores package (http://oursemihomemadelife.blogspot.com/2009/06/semi-homemade-teacher-gifts.html) it's a cute idea.  And I almost went with it, but knew I'd want to take it further...

Then I was at target the other day and saw these adorable plastic popcorn tubs for $2.  And we all know I have the best caramel corn recipe courtesy of Laney Dineen, my post-college (and sorority sister) roommate's mom who made the most amazing recipe book which includes little stories about when she makes the recipes and where they came from. 

One day I'll get there.

So, I just doubled my caramel corn (also known as Carl's corn) recipe and filled the tubs.  With more than enough to spare for the kids to munch on tomorrow while I'm at work.

And the extras...

Family update.

I have a feeling that Elsa is going to be celebrating her birthday for many days to come.  We seemed to stretch out her birthday long enough.

Her birthday was on Saturday the 18th and unfortunately Mark had to work.  But we still went to visit- after the brand new Station 4 open house- so we could spend a little time with Mark without lots of people needing his attention or asking questions when I knew the kids would just want to play on him like he's the best jungle gym in the world.

And I'll confess, we did toy with the idea of passing off the open house as her birthday party.  Who wouldn't want the Mayor to talk at your birthday party?  They had balloons, and shiny red fire engines.  What more would a kid want?  And at 3 I think she might have believed it...

But we didn't- back to daddy being the best jungle gym in the world.  It's not so professional.  I guess...

It's a beautiful station- and I like to think I know a thing or two about architecture. 

Kudos to the architects.

Here's Elsa wrestling with the headsets in the engine.

The headset won.  You should have seen all the hair it pulled out!!!

The rest of the kids had fun too.  I guess it never gets old hopping into the fire engines.

Here's Charlie trying to think up a good potty talk line to drop on his brother and sisters over the headsets.


Carl showing off his loose tooth.

And cool cat Sarina...

After that we stopped by to zip through grandma's house then off to Red Robin where two angels met me to keep me sane through the adventure of Red Robin with a 9, 6, 4, and just 3 year old. 

And it was crowded in there!

But they sang happy birthday to Elsa. 

That's the whole reason we went there.

I look more excited than she does.  I think it's the most still I have EVER seen that little girl.  She soaked it all in and loved every minute of it.

Now if you saw a Pacifica parked in the Red Robin parking lot around 5:30 on June 18th with blue balloons hanging out the doors.  That was mine.  We packed that car full of the leftover balloons from the fire station open house.  When the doors opened some wandered and I couldn't play the game of stuffing them in when I had kids to chase in the parking lot...  It wasn't intentional...

Then there was Baskin Robbins afterwards.

She's getting so big so fast. 

I like that but I don't. 

She's my baby who hasn't ever really been much of a baby- racing to keep up with her brothers and sister.

Welcome to 3 Miss Elsa Jane. 

And no, you really aren't 5 like you try to tell everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment