Saturday, June 11, 2011

Taco Salad

Before I get to the recipe a little dinnertime story.

Last night Carl requested that we say prayers before dinner.  (Sarina went through that phase too- it's so endearing).

So, Carl starts it off with an angelic smile.  "Thank you God for my beautiful family.  My beautiful dad, mom, sisters and brother."  I think that's how it went.

Then Charlie chimes in (actually before Carl could finish) "Thank you God for the beautiful naked ladies." 

What?!

Then they both giggle.

Oh my.  What's in store for us..?

The girls also added their prayers but more appropriately than Mr. Charlie (Sarina sang the Apple Seed prayer and Elsa made something up.)

Now for dinner.

I'm making taco salad for dinner tonight and it reminded me that a friend I recently took dinner to (while she recovered from surgery) requested the recipe...

Taco Salad Schreck Style

ground beef (however much you like- right now I'm browning 4.11lbs because it freezes well and is easy for meals down the road either at the fire station for Mark or home)  I season it with Costco's taco seasoning mix- one of these days I'll try the America's Test Kitchen taco seasoning recipe- I hear it's super yummy).

For the salad I usually combine:
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn - I buy the crisp sweet something or other in a short fat can- the name escapes me
cucumber sliced
red, yellow, or orange bell pepper sliced up
black olives
lettuce (again whatever's on hand- tonight it's romaine, sometimes it's field greens, sometimes it's plain old iceburg which has such a nice crunch even if there is no nutritional value)
shredded cheese (colby, jack, cheddar- whatever's on hand)
I really like to add a couple of hard boiled eggs- I know it sounds weird but my mom made it that way (I think) and it's how I like it.  My kids on the other hand cannot stand hard boiled eggs so those get omitted:(

dressing:
This I just eyeball.  I mix up sour cream with a little milk to make it a good dressing consistency.  To that I add some ranch mix (I like Uncle Dan's) and more of the taco seasoning- to taste.  If I'm feeling fancy and have it on hand I'll add a couple spoonfuls of salsa.  And if I'm wanting it spicy I'll add some hot sauce (Tabasco or Franks either works).

Mix the salad with the dressing.

When I serve it I crush up some Doritos (fancy I know- you can use some more fancy chips if you like- those Chipotle Cheese rice and bean chips would be good too)

Top the chips with some of the salad

Add some cheese

Then some meat.

Buon Appetito.  Wait, that's Italian.  I don't remember the Spanish version.  Enjoy.  That's better.

Hasta luego.

Oh yeah, I'm still doing HcG.  I've lost 13 lbs and am nearing the home stretch on the injections.  Just 3-4 more of injections then 3 days of 500 calories.  After that is 3 weeks of no sugar or starches.  I'm holding steady, and have yet to cheat once.:)  Plus I've been exercising every other day.  First my 5 mile run/walk, then Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30, then spin class, and today Jillian again.  Thank God Jillian gets a tad bit easier on the second run through- that's one tough 30 minute stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment