Monday, March 10, 2014

Leprechaun House

One gloomy day after spending entirely too much time on Pinterest,

filling my head full of images of unrealistic, idyllic images I had a bright idea...

build a leprechaun house!

It'll be so fun!

We can scavenge items from the three acres of woods we live on.

We have lots of bark and moss and sweet little twigs and little ferns and pebbles!

We'll get fresh air

explore our property

and have some good old fashioned teamwork!

Ha!

We walked the woods

we tried to scavenge.

But I was foggy headed and weary with the gathering of boots

and rain coats

by the time we headed out the door that all I could muster was a silly photo of the kids in front of the cows.



Cows they were far too entertained by, watching them pee and poop.

And trying to check out if the lady in the back was about to have a baby.

I think she was...

Carl's head was filled with properly measured and cut and framed up little structures.

I can't blame him.

He's watched his daddy build everything perfectly his whole entire life.

My head was filled with lovely little Pinterest images such as this:



Later I showed Carl pictures of what I was envisioning.

And I've must have decided he wanted to try it out.

The next weekend we had one of the most vivid rainbows touch down in our neighbors field.

The boys caught sight of it before I did.

All I saw was Carl running

then Charlie running after him,

wearing my boots.

I headed out the door to chastise Charlie for tromping off in my boots when I caught sight of this beautiful, beautiful rainbow.



I couldn't get mad at Charlie for throwing on the first pair of shoes in sight in his effort to reach that rainbow before it disappeared.

Heck I was afraid I couldn't get a photo fast enough before it disappeared.

And those boys had a pot of gold at stake!

That rainbow renewed their drive to build a leprechaun house.

This time we found all the right materials.

We weren't even distracted by rivers of cow urine.

Mark cut up a fence board for us to lean together for our cobbled little house.

Carl went with him.

Mark was kind enough to decide to just build a properly constructed little house nailed together with a door and all.

But wise little Carl reminded Mark that it wouldn't be their house if he built it for them.

So, we worked together to put together a homey little shelter for any little leprechauns wandering through.

It's not as picturesque as what I saw in Pinterest

But it has lovely bark, soft and vibrant green moss, a little rock fire put, little rounds cut from apple branches for stairs and a walkway, and a little leprechaun trap baited with pennies in the hopes we can catch a lost little leprechaun willing to grant us three wishes.



Charlie kept saying, "Mom you gotta put this in Pinterest!  Lots of people are going to heart it!"

A painful reminder that I do spend a little (ok a lot) of time on Pinterest.  Perhaps too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment