Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Brave Boy

The past two weeks the two big kids have been shuttled down to a Hunter Safety class a good 40 minutes away from our house.  After school, between baseball and band practices.  For a two hour long course (three days a week) on safe practices when hunting for the hunter, environment, and animals.

It was a good course that helped to show them that they can do most anything when they try.

That everyone has rules to follow.

That they need to be present every moment they spend hunting, it is serious business.

So one night, when I was snuggling Carl at bedtime (way past his bedtime because of that class) I whispered in his ear,

"You are so smart,

and kind."

He whispered back, "What about brave?"

I affirmed he was very brave and strong.

He told me he would protect me.

To which I replied, "And I'll get your back."

He said, "No.  Charlie will."

When I asked what I could do he responded, "You can be look out."

So, I guess it's settled.

When the need arises, Carl will protect us, Charlie will back Carl and I'll provide look out.

We make a good team.

And yes, they are now card carrying hunters.



Thank goodness, I hope they're good marksmen because I'm very, very worried about keeping them fed as they grow...

Now to perfect my venison and elk jerkey recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment