Friday, March 15, 2013

Health and Fitness

So, I'm always struggling with trying to work in exercise in my life.

I know that if you don't make it a priority then it'll never happen.

So hard to carve out time to do, but it is important to me.

Nevertheless, my running is sporadic.

I've been trying to make it my number one priority to run every Monday morning when I have everyone in school.  That day there's less of a chance that I'll have conflict with doing something for myself.

And when I do I get a good chunk of time with two people I adore.

Not that I can chat the way they can, it's all I can to do suck in a breath every now and then and try (usually not very successfully) to keep up.

We have a beautiful 6 mile loop that I love, fills me with joy for my hometown, even on drizzly days.

After two weeks of not going running, last week I was so excited to run my 6 mile loop on Monday, a 5 mile version of that loop with another one of my favorite people on Wednesday, and THEN an 8 mile loop (that had a significant amount of walking to it) on Friday.

It felt great to work in that much mileage.

Unfortunately, my body doesn't seem to care for this sporadic activity level.

Last year when I ran 8 miles cold turkey I learned I had arthritis in my knees and downgraded from the half marathon to the 5 miler.

Really, that's what I get for not being able to property train.

This year, true I haven't had the time so far to properly train, but I have been trying hard to run at least once a week.  For a decent distance.

But my feet rebelled.

I was worried I had stress fractures in my feet.  At first the bruised feeling in the ball of my foot was fine once I started walking on it.  But when it started to swell a tiny bit I got worried.

And in that worry I was trying to formulate a plan in case I couldn't continue to run.  How would I keep weight off (I've put on a few pounds from the old HCG and it's tough enough to keep the weight down).  And I love the social aspects of running (again-I just listen to people talk without being able to contribute to conversations because of the heavy panting...).

I could become vegan?

I could try swimming?

So, in my quest to eliminate those extra lbs, with the looming 20 year high school reunion, and the worry that I don't/won't be able to exercise adequately, I'm trying to be even more whole food conscious.

Today, my lunch was sooooo good!.

My mom had made sauteed kale with boiler onions and bacon last Sunday night that was delicious.

Since then I made it again with a sweet onion and pancetta (plus a little bacon fat for flavor).

In light of the rethinking my food, today I tried an even healthier version.

And you can bet your buns I'm making it again.  Maybe it could be a family meal if I threw in some chicken or prawns.  Or at least something for me and Mark.

Here's my ingredients (sorry the mushroom is not pictured, it was shy-ok- I didn't think to take a picture until after it was cooking up and smelled so yummy, hence the nub of a carrot and half onion)

Notice the new kitchen tool?

Here's what I did.

I took a sweet onion and sliced 1/2 of it thinly.

I took a big portabello mushroom and sliced that thinly too.

I covered my big cast iron skillet with olive oil (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) and added the onion and mushroom to saute for a while sprinkled with fresh ground pepper.

Next I dumped in about 1/2 a bag of trader joe's kale.

Then I took my new vegetable peeler that juliennes the veggies and shaved up a massive carrot and half a zucchini.

I sprinkled it all with garlic salt and cooked it until it looked adequately done to me.

It was delicious.

Here it is in the pan.  And yes, I ate it ALL.


Oh, and I went to the podiatrist today.  One of the tiny little bones under by big toe knuckle (ball of my foot) is inflamed.  Got some orthotics and I should be good to go.  They're the SOLE ARCH SUPPORT from REI.  Nice quick fix, hallelujah!

AND my insurance covers custom orthotics, so I'll get those made and will be zipping around in no time.

Ok, panting after my friends is more like it...  But at least I'm beating the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment