Monday, August 20, 2012

Amazing Books

Don't you love it when a book changes your perspective on life?

When it inspires you like crazy to live better

be better?

Or is just one you cannot for the life of you get out of your head?

I love those kinds of books.

First there was Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (?!).  That book saved my hide.  I could have easily tried crazy drugs as a reckless kid but that book terrified me.  Thank God I read it in 8th grade.

Another was The Stand by Stephen King.  I remember reading it as a youngish teenager and having it blow my mind that there was a chance that we might have our own dark ages.  Maybe that's the reason why it seems practical to have the scene set for potential self sufficiency if the need arises...  AKA 5 acres in the middle of no where...

The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck was a terrifyingly realistic book to me of what it must be like to be normal people thrown into destitution.

Big Russ and Me by Tim Russert is another that is often in my head.  I loved that book, which I just read because I was bored not because Tim Russert inspired me I just knew him as that guy with a white board on NBC when it was election time (this was before his untimely death).  It is such a loving tribute to his dad, Big Russ.

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh helped me to remember that people are often affected by what has happened to them early in life and foster children need extra patience and love.

These are just directly off the top of my head, I know many many more will come to mind after posting.

But the latest, the reason for blogging, was Still Alice by Lisa Genova.

Alzheimer's is a terrifying disease.  I know of three relatively close people who have suffered from early onset Alzheimer's- so I was drawn to this novel written from the perspective of someone living with it.k

Mental illness and brain damage are such uncomfortable afflictions.  I'm sure for both the afflicted and those around them.

This book was so wonderfully written, it inspired me to be more compassionate.

Ok, I thought I was before, but it's a reminder that people are people regardless of what life has dealt them.

What a powerful powerful book.  I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

While my dad didn't have Alzheimer's, it made me wish I could go back in time to be with him again.


To be more patient,

extra loving

and affectionate

more understanding.

Read it and let it inspire you for the people you are blessed to be with today.

No comments:

Post a Comment