Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sad Boy Saying Good Bye to Fishy

For Christmas Charlie, my animal lover, got a kit that grows some pre-historic fish before your eyes.

He was so VERY excited to have his own pet.

He hounded Mark to set it up ASAP.

Then we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

After about 3 weeks I was done waiting and took him to pick out his very own fishy.

He selected a beautiful black half-moon beta (the most expensive darn beta fish they had at Petco), but I couldn't deny him.  He had waited so patiently for those rotten pre-historic eggs to turn into fishes.

He was on cloud nine for a good chunk of time after bringing fishy home.

He went through a few names- Fasty was the one that stuck in my mind but just this morning he called him Bob.  I don't know.  But he LOVED that fishy.

He was so cute zipping down the stairs straight to fishy to check him out each morning.

Except this morning, he was distracted by the snow.

Thank goodness.

Because when I checked on Fasty, he was pointing nose down and lifeless.

So, quickly- while Charlie was frolicking in the snow I called Petco to find out about their 30 day money back policy (it was the most expensive beta...)  The lovely lady informed me that I did need to bring little Fasty in as proof that he has departed this world.

Clueless about what to do with the little guy she suggested I put him in a ziploc baggie with a little water and pop him in the freezer until we could bring him in for an exchange.

So, I cleaned up all evidence of Fasty's existence before Charlie came in. 

After he came inside tt took a short while before he asked, "Where's my fishy?"

I knew the question was coming.

I took a deep breath and looked him in the eye.

"Sweet boy, he went to Heaven." was all I could say.

That baby's face crumbled and he sobbed the most heartfelt sob a little boy could let out and it broke my heart, knowing how excited he was to have his very own pet.

After a few minutes of crying he asked, "It was his turn to go to Heaven?"

I nodded yes.

Then he wiped his eyes and ambled off to play.

I thought that was it.

But tonight he has been crying out like his leg is broken every 10 minutes.

I know his grief is real and raw enough that it's seeping into his little dreams.

I hope replacement Fasty is good enough to take his mind off of his loss.

And I'll be bracing myself for the day it's Hunter's turn to go to Heaven.

I'm tempted to bring him up a fresh cookie I just made.  S'mores cookies, I'd love to put a little sweetness in his mouth to ease the bitter taste that must be there.

Now it's time to run up and snuggle a little boy before his next sobbing session.

No comments:

Post a Comment