Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ferber the second week

Miss Elsa has been sleeping in her bed all night long for over a week now.

Some nights she wakes up more than others.

Last night she stood proudly at my bedside at 1am.

"Hey guys!  I slept in my bed all night long," she announced proudly.

Umm, not really missy.

I put her back in bed to try to go until morning.

She came back at 2am.

Sorry little one, still not morning.

When she returned at 5:20am (for the second morning in a row...) I got up with her.

If I pulled her into bed with me, I know two things: 1) She'd fall back asleep until 7am (which would be dreamy) but 2) she'd start sneaking in earlier and earlier until we're right back where we started.

So, I'm pulling the 5am shifts again.  I remember doing it with Sarina then Carl when they were this age.  I have no recollection of Charlie doing this.

Eventually, she'll revert back to sleeping to a reasonable hour.

I hope.

Maybe.

My college roommate who consistently woke up at a ridiculously early hour (which was probably only 6:30am but felt ungodly back in the day) is now a doctor.  She's such a fantastic achiever that (hold on while I brag about my friend for a moment...) while attending medical school at a fantastic school she trained for and ran a full marathon, planted a vegetable garden that produced, and learned to knit then knit Sarina a baby sweater when she was born.

So, if I have to suffer through 5am mornings with my kids it'll be worth it if they're successful in life.

I'd rather sleep until a respectable 7am and not speak a word until I have at least a half a cup of coffee in me.

But that's just me...

And I'm certainly not a doctor.

I just stumbled across this article on linkedin.  The early riser bit has always been an assumption on my part, now I have proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment