Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Olive Oyl

I've been terribly sporadic in my posting. 

Some days I'll post twice.

Sometimes I'll go long stretches until I post again.

It's kind of the story of my life. 

I'm really dedicated to something for a good stretch of time.  Then that attention will wax and wane- like the moon, but far less predictable.

One thing is certain, my attention to my family comes first.  Everything else is worked in around them.

I think that's how it's supposed to be.

Lately I'm feeling like Popeye's Olive Oyl.  Like I'm stretched between a little girl who is into my every bit of business and being allowed to stay up later since she's getting bigger, and a little girl who won't let me be in the wee hours of the night.  She's stuck to me like glue from about midnight until morning.  Then there are two little boys who are also in need of love, attention, and affection.

Now I get it when my mom says her big kids exhausted her mentally and the little ones exhausted her physically.

I think I can only stretch so far.

I'd made up my mind to "Ferberize" Elsa over Christmas break.

But then she got sick.

Not just a little sniffle, but take-her-to-the-(McCleary)ER-on-Christmas-Eve because her ears were causing so much pain.  She sounds like a 60 year old bar maid with her raspy voice and broken blood vessels in one eye.

So, as much as I'd like to be the tough guy (so I can sleep in any position I want during the night...) I'm waiting until she's healthy before I'm mean and make her stay in her bed all night long.

And, again with the laundry complaints, but last week laundry got way out of hand (big surprise).  Here's a little sampling of the clean laundry I folded and put away yesterday.


Plus another FIVE LOADS!  I think there's something to the whole keeping just 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts for each kid.  Might make my life a whole lot easier.

This is what happens when I put my chores on the back burner.  It's not pretty.

But we had a nice holiday with family, even if Mark did have to work Christmas day- at least he was able to go in at 10:30am so he could have Christmas morning and Christmas Eve with all the excitement and anticipation, at home with us.

Even with all the trials and tribulations, I know I lead a charmed life.

I have 4 happy and healthy (for the most part) kids, a husband I adore, fantastic friends, and a great family.

There isn't much more I would wish for.

Now, I wonder if I'll post again before the New Year...

No comments:

Post a Comment