Saturday, September 10, 2011

Every Last Ounce of Sunshine

I know I'm running my kids ragged.

But I feel a desperate need to grab every last ounce of sunshine before the gloom of fall and winter hit.

Plus this is the first year that I feel like I can manage my crew outside the home front. 

No wanderers (at least not too far). 

No dirt eaters.

No one recklessly walking into the water without being able to swim or know what's going on around them.

It's been FREEDOM!!!

We've been down to Ken Lake- which is awesome for catching fish, the slide into the water and swim out to the floating dock with diving board.  It's where Elsa has learned her spectacular dive:



And for variety we've been whoring ourselves out to the Country Club pool every chance we get- which is awesome for the comfy lounge chair, food and drink service, lifeguard, and beautiful setting.

We even snuck into the Red Lion's outdoor pool (which the kids call the Lion Pool). 



 Photo is Day 2 of School (the bus was 6 minutes early on Day 1)


 How much longer will I be able to get them to do this?  I love it.

Today, the first weekend since school started, and we're planning to hit Ken Lake then off to a 3pm football game.

It's operation: Wear The Kids Out (I'm now on day 8 of single parenting while Mark is off {hopefully} getting an elk to keep these kids fed through the winter).

Maybe it will wear the kids out enough that they'll crash early and I can finally put some order to our "desk" area of the kitchen so that I can keep on top of the onslaught of papers coming from all 4 kids' school...

I know it's a futile hope.  Between the bills, the book drives, the map tests, the PTO sign up sheets, the chapel envelopes, the homework, the calendars and handbooks, the artwork, the to-do lists.  It all ends up a jumbled mess anyway.

Maybe I'll finally purge Sarina's closet & play nook. 

Maybe I'll purge the boys' closet & play nook...

I'm always full of plans just after my morning cup of coffee, it's caffeine induced optimism.

In reality, lately after I've FINALLY gotten all 4 kids peacefully slumbering away, it's all I can do to hold my head up.  I literally sit staring at a wall or screen physically unable to move but not wanting to miss out on the peace and quiet in my home with all little angels quietly tucked into bed.  So I sit there like a zombie for a while before stumbling into bed, later than I should.

But I'm hopeful that one of these days, I'll get my second wind and rally enough to accomplish a project or two from my post morning coffee list of optimism...

Now Carl, Charlie, and Elsa have consumed 2 breakfasts (a variety of combinations of cereal, pancakes, sausage, and oatmeal).  I think they're fueled up enough to carry them through what should be a fun, busy day.

And since I've been short of recipe posts, I have a new one for you.  It was way easier than I'd hoped it would be and turned out yummy for someone who didn't know how to prepare tomatillos let alone whip up a salsa verde.  It was the perfect combination of having smelled the delicious concoction at one of Sarina's friend's houses when picking her up from a playdate, and the super generous donation of an extra CSA box full of tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic, cilantro and other yummy fresh-from-the-garden-treats.

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Peel, rinse, and dry enough tomatillos to fill a large frying pan.

Heat a dry pan over medium high heat, add tomatillos and 2-3 jalapenos (depending on size and how spicy you like it) and roast until skins get black patches- shaking the pan every now and then to add different black spots (about 10 minutes or so).

In a food processor put one bunch of cilantro (check for little worms first:/), 3-5 garlic cloves (depending on size and how much you like garlic), the juice of 1/2 a lime and 1/2 a lemon, a tsp of sea salt and drizzle of honey (a little under a tsp- also depends on how you like it).

When tomatillos and jalapenos are nicely blackened, cut the stem off the jalapenos and dump into the processor and blend.

You can simmer it with a drizzle of olive oil if you like it warm or serve it cold.

I think it's yummy for dipping chips or taquitos, simmering chicken breast tenders or cubed pork for tacos, could be good for salad too.

enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment