Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Another Bad Habit

I never gave it a second thought when I told my kids to stop getting so big,

to stay my babies,

to quit growing...

I always said it teasingly, thinking it would let them know how much I love them.

And this afternoon my wonderfully unafraid-to-correct friend informed me that I can't tell them that. 

It makes them feel badly about growing up,

getting bigger,

becoming mature little people.

I never once thought of it that way...

So, tonight I asked Sarina if it made her feel badly when I said that to her and she said... "yes."

Gulp.

I have a lot of making up to do.

Many, many, many "I'm proud of the young lady you're becoming"s and other such truths.

I am sad to see them grow out of toddlerhood but I also am very, very excited to see what wonderful people they will grow up to be, and I know that they will make me proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment