Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Maybe I Was A Blue Heeler In A Past Life

Maybe I was a Blue Heeler in a past life.

Actually, I think I must have been.

I can relate to those nervous dogs when they pace around trying to gather up the strays into a closer group.

That's how I feel when my kids scatter, especially when we aren't at home or in a comfortable environment.

For instance, today.

I'm camping on Hood Canal with my own herd +1 while poor Mark works his tail off trying to wrap up a few projects on the barn to seal it up for fall and winter (and to get ready for siding and doors).

It's my first solo camping trip and so far so good.

Except for feeling like a nervous Blue Heeler.

Camping is such a great way for me to not obsess about getting chores done or crossing off things on my to do list. Of course it takes a couple of days of crazy to do lists before departure, but it's worth enjoying all that "get ahead" work while camping.



And this trip I didn't bring my computer or a tv or DVDs.

No screen time.

I was most nervous about the mornings.

But this morning was awesome.

I took my "shower" (really washing under the faucet in our mini-bathtub) last night and set up the coffee pot so all I had to do was hit on this morning. That way I could jump into pancake making and sausage browning first thing this morning.

There are great climbing trees at our site.

There's a path through the campground.

There's a playground. There's a fantastic beach that drastically changes with the tides- like a different beach each time we visit it. Perfect for skipping rocks at high tide. Great shell picking at low tide.

The problem is the kids scatter.

At the beach

and on their bikes.

Even I hate the sound of my own voice.

Sarina and Carl! Wait up!

The nervous Blue Heeler in me worries about what happens when the ones ahead on bikes face off with cars and I'm behind a curve and can't see to warn (not that they even register my voice 95% of the time).

The nervous Blue Heeler in me worries about the sink holes or current or sharp barnacles at
low tide when they're spread out 4 football fields apart (usually in pairs).

And the nervous Blue Heeler in me worries about the current and dunking underwater when I don't see it.

But it's worth the nagging voice (urrgh!)

and quick heartbeats every now and then

to see them up in trees,

zipping around on bikes like they own the place,

fencing with the flag sticks,

licking ice cream off their hands,

sipping roopy-dear,

and the firelight flickering on their tired little faces at the end of a sun filled, action packed day.

But oh sweet Jesus- a 20 something guy all tattooed up (don't get me wrong I like some tattoos but on some people they look a little menacing) drove up asking if we'd seen his blond pit bull with cropped ears. That's what makes this Blue Heeler's ears prick up...

Now about the food:)

Our camping meals with all the prep work done before departure include:

Pancakes and sausage (pre-cooked turkey sausage patties from Costco- sarina's the only one who doesn't approve)
And scrambled eggs and bacon

Pb & nutella or turkey or salami sandwiches for lunch
(I did pack cup-a-noodle too- junk food when camping is part of the experience...right?)

Trader joe's pizza dough fried in my electric skillet topped with pizza sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni for the kids

Then Trader joe's pizza dough also fried in the skillet topped with peanut sauce, smoked Gouda, shredded chicken, cilantro, chives, roasted peppers and sauteed yellow zucchini for me. There's a lot left over..

Tonight it's my take on Top Foods old BBQ chicken salad (lettuce, shredded jicama, black beans, corn, chopped red onion, shredded cheese, chopped red and orange bell peppers, shredded chicken, dressed with sweet baby ray's BBQ sauce and mexicali dressing. Yum!

Tomorrow night green salad with Mexicali dressing and bean and cheese taquitos.

For dessert I have ice cream sandwiches (chocolate chip cookies with homemade vanilla edges rolled in sprinkles), homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream in cones, and s'mores (either traditional or with reeces peanutbutter cups).

Oh and coffee lots of coffee. Hot in the morning, iced in the afternoon. Still black since the diet, big change for this old dog:)

No comments:

Post a Comment