Friday, March 27, 2020

Wrapping up Week 2 Covid -19

We’ve accomplished quite a bit in this time of hunkering down.  Mark and the kids built 3 raised beds for veggies, one cloche down, 2 to go.  I think we’ll add a fourth bed too.  They cut the wood, drilled screwed the boards together, carried them out and filled them with dirt.  It’s weird they’re now bigger and stronger than me.  I used to carry a couple of them around at a time.





Elsa and I started so many seeds but we’ll need to plant way more to fill these guys.


We tried planting in egg cartons and in egg shells.  We’ll see what works best.  I can now confidently say that I can grow peas from seed.  We’ll see about the rest.  Some carrots are starting to sprout too.

In the midst of the building and shoveling my sweet sweet friend dropped off two bags of candy and yellow tulips.  Brightened our day!  (And the candy disappeared quickly). She’d been handing out goodie bags to all her students who turn to her cupboard when they’re hungry at school.  I know she misses her school kids and worries about how some of them are doing at home, especially the vulnerable ones.

I’ve always wanted to master bread making but have yet to have the clarity of mind and schedule to do it.  On Wednesday I accepted some sourdough starter and an trying.  I had to “feed” it three times the first day and almost messed it up.  I added the second feeding amount of flour (twice as much as called for) but I think I evened it up after talking it through with my friend who gave me the starter.  Fingers crossed.  I think I’ll bake a loaf this evening.




It might have been too much to take on the raised beds, sour dough, and my first video conference meeting for work in one day (plus a 5.5 mile run watching Sarina disappear ahead of me at every dip and turn of the road).

It dawned on me at 4:15pm that I was still not showered from a dirty day, wearing Mark’s 20 year old work coveralls, I hadn’t planned dinner, hadn’t checked the WiFi in the bonus room, and had a work zoom meeting with a committee and applicant in an hour.  

Sarina gagged her way through browning and draining sausage to make everyone spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner.  

I took a quick shower and tried to get the internet working.  No luck, thank the Lord for cell phone hot spots.  I turned it on, connected the computer, tidied the backdrop, and started zoom.  Yet my microphone WILL NOT WORK on the computer.  (I’ve since trouble shooted it,  googled how to fix it, nothing).  My work-around is to call and put my phone on speaker then turn down the volume on the computer.  The meeting went surprisingly well.  I was able to share my computer screen so we could all look at the architectural drawings at the same time.  Aside from the technical difficulties, I’m proud I made it work and we had a productive review.  

What I anticipated to be an hour meeting turned into two and a half.  But my sweet family had the kitchen nice and clean by the time I came down.

Elsa and Carl have been putting in time improving their basketball skills.



I’m so proud of their determination and hard work.

We’re seeing more and more cheer teams doing video try-outs.  I think there’s a chance Sarina can do that for Gonzaga.  I’m betting that we can use old videos or photos of partner stunting at UW cheer clinics.  Like these last fall:




Yesterday was interesting.  The boys were working in the shop, building forms for a concrete ping pong table legs.  They really want to make one for outside.  It’ll double as a patio table too.  I’m excited for it.

I was a bit at a loss.  Woke up with a headache and felt blah all day.  I’m not entirely sure what I accomplished.  Laundry piled up, I didn’t make dinner.  But I did make breakfast and lunch for a few people.

It was the second week one of Charlie’s DEDICATED teachers tried to teach her class using Zoom.  Last week her internet wasn’t strong enough so she couldn’t make it work or stay online very long.  This week she had it dialed in!  She had it set up so the kids were muted until called on (reduced A LOT of background noise), the kids could push a button to raise their hand.  She called on kids.  Charlie was on there over an hour and twenty minutes.  At one point he was running around the kitchen playing a game with his class.  They laughed.  They discussed a heavy book, “Let the Circle Be Unbroken.”  They talked about racial discrimination beautifully.  I am sooooo impressed.  How often do you get to listen to your kids learn from a wonderful teacher?  What an absolute gift.



A friend who is going CRAZY dropped off fresh oranges, bananas and strawberries.  We talked through the window.  Her sweet sparkle got a school iPad and was able to see faces of people from school.  Tears streamed down her precious face as she saw people she misses dearly.  She doesn’t understand what’s happening.  Why she can’t see her friends.  Or hug everyone in her path.  It’s hard on her and her mama.

In the afternoon the girls linked into a video dance lesson hosted by Elsa’s friend and classmate.  That fun little kiddo had all kinds of people learning her moves.


And I set up a doctor appointment with our dermatologist for Carl.  While I am constantly frustrated by technology, it sure does help keep things moving.


The girls baked loads of cookies we’ll deliver with cards to grandparents so close but yet so far.

Mark and I picked up taco truck for the boys, Thai for us and the girls.  And prescriptions for Carl.  Still no flour on the shelves at Haggen but I did get tortillas and brown sugar.  I should have checked for meat and eggs.  Maybe a couple of gallons of milk too.  I’m not on my A game.

After dinner Mark and Carl worked on basketball.  Charlie and Elsa talked with friends, Sarina and I watched Friday Night Lights (holy moly the daughter slept with her married college TA- I made sure to inform Sarina that was not acceptable.  I’m certain I didn’t need to do that, but felt I had to for my peace of mind.)

Then Elsa read a chapter of Percy Jackson to me at bedtime.  And no matter what, every time she reads to me I fall asleep.  Faster than any sleeping pill.  And such a restful nap.  But I do wish I knew what was happening in the book.  Sometimes I surprise myself by pronouncing a word she doesn’t recognize mid-doze.

It’s the start of Friday.  The end of our second week at hone.  I hear it’s going to get far worse out there, the US has surpassed all other countries in number of COVID-19 cases.  The jack ass in office seems to think he’s going to give the country an Easter gift and allow everyone to swap germs at church Easter Sunday.  Lord, help us.  Hear our prayer.

Mark is on shift.  He says this is the first time in 20 years he’s nervous to go to work.

On the agenda today is a video book club for Elsa,

a video from Charlie to his friend for his birthday, the first in years that they haven’t spent together.

I’m sure Carl will FaceTime his girlfriend for hours, possibly his buddies too.

Sarina will zip ahead of me for 5-6 miles as I try not to pass out while working hard to keep her in my line of sight on our run.

We’ll deliver treats to grandparents-keeping a safe distance.

I’d like to read.

Charlie wants me to paint him a fish.

Elsa wants to paint a deer for daddy,

I’ll try my first loaf of sourdough.

We’ll try to exist in a meaningful way.

And now for espresso long shot number two.  (Praying my shipment of Nespresso arrives before we run out, I’ve been skipping my afternoon caffeine.  Hey!  Maybe that adds to my Elsa-reading-sleepiness...

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment