Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Picking Teams

Today after school, the first thing out of Charlie's mouth was, "I got to have recess and play with Carl today."  He was beaming as he elaborated, " Carl was the captain and he picked his team.  He picked me, Carson, Ryder, and an 8th grader."

My heart swelled to think of my two boys choosing to play with each other when they have a whole playground of kids to play with.  I have to get out there and watch them playing football at recess.

There's something magical about team sports.  It brings such diverse people together and can build a beautiful comraderie  I've watched Mark playing basketball for over 20 years.  That guy knows every basketball hoop in town from apartment complexes to the armory to athletic clubs to schools elementary thru college.  And the variety of people he knows from it too constantly surprises me.

I see that starting with the boys too.  One of the principals goes out and throws the football with the kids at recess and he looks like the pied piper with all the kids following him.

I hope above all hope my kids will share in that sense of community their whole lives long.  And that they do it side by side pushing and supporting each other the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment