Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Is it a full moon today?

I know it's not a full moon today but what a weird day it's been.

And it's only 2:17 pm (as I write).

I really should be spending my time doing the work I'm so worried about getting done.  The work that's been eating at me, like the feeling you get with a looming deadline you are unprepared for (remember finals anyone?)

The work I was supposed to get to do all day today with very little interruptions.

Let me start at the beginning...

5:58 am I am awoken by a LOUD boom.

Instantly a shrill, panicked shriek from Elsa's room, "Mama!?"

The power was out, all lights in the house off, and her smoke detector was chirping-loudly.

I grabbed her and tried to get her quiet and into my bed before she woke Sarina and the boys.

Ha!

Didn't work.

Pitch black, freezing, everyone awake and in my bed, wrestling about.

All I want to do is sleep, but I looked out the window and saw that a neighbor between me and the source of the noise had a porch light on.

Was it just my house?

Of course, a night when I'm home alone with the kids.

Yes, a scary movie where a bad guy cut the wires does cross my mind.

Then my adrenaline runs.

But, it's ok.

I can make it work.

I manage to get the kids up and ready for school- fed, dressed and lunches packed.

I get all my things packed in the suburban so I can head to my mom's house for a shower and I'll just work there.

I can salvage the day.

I pop the kids on the bus (it's the first day Elsa doesn't cry because she has to go to school-yay for that!).

I lock up the house and head into the garage.

Oops, no power = no garage door opener.

That's ok, I'm resourceful.  I consult my mom and brother-in-law.

I climb onto the slanted front bumper of the car and manage to pull the red handle to release the door.

I even slide the door up

once,

it slides back down,

twice,

it slides down again

huh,

I catch it on the down and slide it back up and look up at it to figure out how I can keep it up long enough to get the car out, when...

something falls off the door into my eye.

Awesome.

I turn away (toward the driveway)

boom,

down goes the door.

And you guessed it, locked out.

And the house locked up.

My cell phone in the garage.

It's ok, I have a neighbor.  I'll borrow her phone, call my mom to rescue me with a spare key she keeps (even though it's her birthday-happy birthday mom!).

No neighbor home, she was smart and got herself coffee at Starbucks.

So, not a huge deal, my sister lives 1.25mi away.  I needed to go for a walk anyway, just didn't feel I'd had the time to squeeze it in.

Got it God, I'll walk and enjoy this beautiful foggy fall morning, call my mom, it'll be ok.

Even better, my neighbor drives up, not only does the blessed soul give me nice hot Americano but she drives me to my mom's.

I get there, find her neighbor (like a favorite uncle to me) needs mom's truck.

Fine, I'll get a ride home, drive it to mom's clean it up and hand it over.  Really not how I'd planned my day but something that's been on the back burner far too long.  It's nice to have a reason to HAVE to get it done.

So I shower up, and I'll confess, I started to crack a teeny tiny bit without my own deodorant or eye make up remover.  Ok, it was the eye makeup remove that almost broke the camel's back.  Logically, not a huge deal.  And by itself just a blip.  But combined with everything, it was a set back on my glass-is-half-full attitude.

But deep breaths, and a little pondering on perspective.

It's ok.

I got it.

And now I'm home.

I am showered, I went to the bank, I helped my mom make some decisions about something, I vacuumed the last of my dearly departed puppy dog out of her truck.

Three things on my list of 100 accomplished on a day I was supposed to focus and be EFFICIENT.

I have an hour before the kids get home.

I'd better be REALLY EFFICIENT.

And it looks like subway for dinner on the way to football and cheer practice.

I wish I could have a do-over.  But Friday will be my day for efficiency.

Cross your fingers for me that the lights stay on and no clumps of dirt fall into my eye, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment