Monday, October 14, 2013

Fall Football Schedule

Saturday was a pretty busy day.

The only reason I'm documenting this is so that my future-quiet house, reflecting-on-raising-kids self can remember accurately (without embellishments) what a typical fall football Saturday consisted of...

Saturday morning started up trying to be a good mama making French Toast for breakfast for two kids and waffles for another (one kiddo had a sleepover the night before).  I wanted to fill their little bellies with homemade warm food before the big busy day.

At promptly 8:30am (I'd aimed for 8:00am knowing that I always seem to be running a 1/2 hour late) we departed for a 9am flag football game at Washington Middle School (a good 25 minute drive away) for Charlie and Elsa.

On the way, in COMPLETE seriousness, Charlie announced that someone had Beaver Fever (aka shart, poopy toot, you get the general picture...?).  Then pretty quickly he corrected himself, it sounded like he was  just talking to himself, "Oh no, it's just my breath."  I heard him say.

Ha!  Ha ha!

It was a fun game, aside form popping something in my mid back that left me nauseous and hard to breathe...  (It got better after a good, hot soak in Epsom salt).

Elsa tried her best and did a good job keeping up.  Charlie was a fantastic flag puller, ball running, touchdown scoring kiddo.  When he has the desire to play, he's really good, but I'm his mom and of course I think that...

Then we zipped home and picked up Sarina from her sleepover, I make some quick chicken noodle soup to warm them up and hope it helps with the sniffley, coughing kids.

Then off to Carl's 3:15pm game in Yelm.  We left at noon because the highlight of games in Yelm, for me, is getting to go to Van's- a DELICIOUS hamburger stand on the way.  It's so good that there's always a good line so you have to come with patience.  But it's soooo worth the wait.  And I consider myself a pretty good burger connoisseur.

We all contentedly polished off our burgers then headed to Yelm for the 1 hour warm up for the 3:15pm game.

After a rocky season, Carl did a good job of staying in the the whole time he was asked to play.  For some reason just into the season, we had a stretch where he didn't want to play.  He even told his coaches "no" when they asked him to play.  It was shocking for us, because Carl's such an easy going kid.  But he was scared of getting hurt.  I don't know if this is because we talked too much in front of him about how important it was that he stay in the lower league because he's only 56 pounds and he thought of himself as fragile.  Or maybe some kids in school got inside his head about how big some of the other teams are...  But we worked through that (I think) and directed him to picture the other team as a kid he isn't too terribly fond of in school.  I think that's been helpful, that and the promise of a day hunting with dad when the football season is over...

Because the game didn't start until late and the chorus of "I have to go pottys" the second we got to the car, we didn't leave Yelm until 5:15pm.

Sarina needed to be in Steilacoom at 5:00pm for warm-ups for cheer.  So much for the stop in DuPont for dinner en-route, we headed straight to Steilacoom.  It was a super fun game to cheer for, the 8th grade boys played hard and won.  I ended up coaching the last quarter (kids in tow).

Then, we made it to dinner at 8pm (they're used to eating at 4:30pm because of practice...).  We hit Happy Teriyaki in DuPont and the kids loved it.  They have a koi pond inside and the kids were fascinated by the friendly, big mouthed gold fish.  And the really friendly woman working let them feed the fish.  They filled their bellies with moderately healthy quick food then home to bed (after 9pm).

Mark's been hunting in the north Cascades since last Thursday and I'm not sure when he'll be home so it's been tricky navigating the schedule solo.  But I enjoy the challenge and it helps me to appreciate his help that much more when he's able to be home.

It was such a busy weekend.  It's no wonder the boys were out like a light (with the lights on) before I could tuck them in on Sunday.

Can you see the drool?!



I love football season and watching the kids play and cheer, but I'm really ready for the kids to have more down time, time to do their homework, and get to bed on time.


No comments:

Post a Comment