Monday, June 17, 2013

Cleaning House & Youth Entitlement Day 1

Who hasn't heard of the Tiger Mom?

Well, I believe that I found the softer, American version that I find INSPIRATIONAL.

I don't think I have been shy about expressing my slight dread of the summer months.

Look at how excited they are for summer, I feel evil for dreading it.
The truth is I can barely handle the household with the majority (ok half) of the kids out of my hair during most of the day.

When everyone is home it's constantly like a bomb has gone off.

This is so painfully true in my house.
I don't like it, but I feel like everything is out of my control when they're all home and under foot.

But I think I just found some hope.

A teeny tiny little glimmer of hope.

This woman was interviewed on the Today Show a while back.



Out of sheer desperation I went and bought her book hoping it would guide me.

I think I might have found a magic method of feeling like my house isn't constantly spiraling out of control.

I am determined to make this summer a summer to love.

And give me a chance to look forward to summer again.

It is written by a woman with 5 children, so I have a slight advantage only having 4.

Right?

What really rang true for me with her description of how she parented on the playground (completely not helicopter parenting) and how she parents regarding chores (so much easier to do it yourself than nag others).

I wanted to frantically raise my hand- like in class- and say that's me!  That's me too!!

Last night Mark and I told Carl, Charlie, and Elsa the plan.  This morning (Saturday) Elsa made her bed and picked up her bedroom without being reminded.

Carl and Charlie spring into action the second they remembered.

Hallelujah!!

I think it helps that there's money involved.  One dollar for every day they make their beds and clean up their rooms.  It has to be done by 10am.  If I find they haven't done those two simple tasks they lose one dollar.


This is the first month.  Creating the clean room habit.  Next month will be something too, slowly increasing their productivity.

There still is the toughest critic, we'll see how that goes...

And today I had to add in that a certain someone has been saying "no" to me and throwing wicked temper tantrums far too often for my liking.  So, I took that someone's dollar for today after they wouldn't settle down.  That same someone can earn the dollar back by being a good listener for the rest of the day.

My breath is held and my fingers are crossed.

Please oh please oh PLEASE let this work!

If I could be crazy enough to attempt and succeed at that insane HCG diet, I sure as heck should be able to teach my kids responsibility.

And that I won't always be there to do everything for them.

Wish me luck, and a stronger will than the sum of the little souls I'm trying to shape in to productive beings.

I WILL not fail.

Now, who wants to join me?:)

No comments:

Post a Comment