Monday, January 28, 2013

Unicorn on the Moon

Tonight when I was tucking Elsa into bed I noticed she was laying on her bed, studying a figurine.

(a little back story here- the figurine was sent to her big sister years ago from her great-grandma, and Elsa recently acquired it by sneaking it out of her big sister's bedroom...)

She held it carefully in both of her little hands.

She was calm

and quiet

and thoughtful,

...it caught my attention.

After stories, as I snuggled that sweet little body in her bed, she said, "I wonder how the unicorn got in the moon."
As I was about to offer up fairy dust as a potential option,

she answered her own question.

"Hmmm" she said with absolute certainty, "it must have been a jet pack."
"I'll bet you're right." I replied.

But to be honest, that one didn't even cross my mind as a potential mode of transportation, but obviously it's every bit as likely as silly old fairy dust.

Jet packs...
I'm so very grateful she shares those tiny little windows of what's going on in her little mind.
She elaborated that,  "It must be lonely up there- on the Moon.  She's probably thinking about her family."

I wonder if Elsa is lonely on the days her brothers and sister are at school. 

Does she feel like that unicorn sitting on the moon by herself?

The other day I took Charlie out to Red Robin for lunch, just the two of us.  His first comment, once we were settled into a booth, was that he wished Sarina, Carl and Elsa were there too.
It's easy for me to use that time when I'm down to one kid to do some of the stuff I've put off or done as quickly as I could with kids underfoot for the past 11 years.

I have to consciously remind myself that the chores can wait a little while longer.

The house will be clean one day, in the relatively near future (ok, a year from now).

But they each want me now.

I'm a big part of their world and I have to show them that they're a very big part of my world too.

Because, of course, they are the world to me.
Today we played kids monopoly, the kids and I, and it was delightful.
I'm one lucky mama to be given these precious babies to love and cherish.
Yes, there are many days the volume of children, the noise, and their needs is overwhelming. 

But that is also part of what makes this crazy chaotic life wonderful.

And those days when I get one on one time with each of them all the more precious, to focus on them and them alone.

I am so very blessed.

1 comment:

  1. (Sniff, Sniff!)

    As one of four too, I'll bet that Charlie and Elsa do recognize the quiet when they are the only one. I am glad that you will embrace those precious moments. To Do Lists need to wait when the choice is between an anxious child who wants to play or scub the baseboards.

    I am sad for children (and adults) who don't know the amazing relationships you get with siblings. Mom's goal was for the four of us to have that bond . . . and I truly believe we do. I think you have done a fabulous job building the bond between your four!

    I love you baby sis!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete