Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Lord of the Flies

You want to know my reward for limiting screen time?

I'm trying to be a good mama.

I'm trying to encourage those little buggers to move their little bodies

and use their noggins.

Somehow, my reward has transported me to the land of the Lord of the Flies.

Don't believe me?

How about this soundbite to illustrate?

OK, I give up.  I can't figure out how to translate the file I used to record the madness (from the microphone on my iphone) into something I can post.  If you can figure out how to make the link above play, then enjoy.  But you may want ear plugs...  If not.  SORRY.  I'm not smart enough to figure this technical mumbo jumbo out.
Anyway, the racket sure does make it tough to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other, let alone trying to clean up dinner and start getting ready for the great bedtime battle for this mama home with 4 kids age 9 and under...

So, if you drive by and hear the screams...

don't be alarmed. 

Just another day in paradise.

-----
And just for fun, I tried this recipe out tonight.  It was delicious!  I haven't been a big fan of tofu since the day they tricked us into trying plain cold nasty tofu at McLane Elementary when we were doing some big sister city celebrating.  Shudder.  That was disgusting.  But this made it yummy to me.  It was simple, yummy, and nutritious too!

Black Pepper Tofu & Green Beans
serves 4/30 min
(Sunset Mag Sept 2011)
1 lb green beans, trimmed & halved
2 T lime juice
2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 t pepper
14 oz firm tofu, drained & patted dry
2 T canola oil
1 T packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced shallots (I didn't have any so I used red onion- still yummy)

1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add green beans and cook until bright green.  Drain and rinse well with cold water.  In a small bowl combine the lime juice, soy sauce and pepper then set aside.

1. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch rectangles.  Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  Add tofu, sprinkle with sugar, and cook turning occasionally until evenly browned.  Stir in shallots/onion and cook until browned.  Add green beans and cook until warmed.  Pour in soy sauce mixture and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment