Friday, October 12, 2012

A good smack

Oh the joys of parenting.

After a day spent seeing off the big game hunter for a few days, running errands to get a contractor's license secured for his big new venture, attempting to make the Honda-Car suitable for another to drive, replacing the already-lost-lunchbox of Mr. Big-Kindergartner, and trying to hunt down the perfect jacket for said Mr. Big-Kindergartner (that is the correct size), seeing the rain return, and trying to keep chipper for the kids while keeping everything in order and having family movie night (minus one very important family member)...

I would say, come evening time my nerves were a bit shot tonight.

I bribed the kids with movie (Charlie picked The Miracle and it was a good one) and popcorn if they bathed and got into their jammies.

It was after bath that the big smack-down came.

It was truly unintended.

Littlest Miss Sweet Pea was chirping rather loudly.

Ok- she was SCREAMING.

Just to make noise,

I wholeheartedly believe.

I calmly and pleasantly asked her not to do that again.

She screamed again,

in my face.

Maybe it's the hormones- alright it's totally partially PMS.

Anyway, I don't know when this became instinct, but without any real thought my hand whipped back and smacked her freshly bathed, still damp little bum.

On bare skin.

Poor poor baby.

I truly thought that the second largest beach towel we own she selected to wrap around her warm little body was covering said little bum.

But there was my handprint welt on that sweet little cheek to prove I connected.

And boy did she howl.

Rightfully so.

She was perfectly happy screaming.

Between sobs she informed me that {talking about spanking} that I needed to do, "little ones on little people."

My poor little sweet pea.

She's one of my very very favorite little people.

Sometimes I forget just how little she is and expect more out of her than maybe I should.

Next time I'll try to keep it "little on little people" even if they have a personality as big as Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment